Wednesday, November 16, 2011

The North Face in the City

When I think of The North Face, I (like most people) think of tall rugged mountains and extreme environments.  They have been marketing themselves as the best outdoor brand for years.

I have lived in mountain towns and traveled throughout most of the US.  During that time I have been in cold climates but I have NEVER seen a town so invested in one brand.  There seems to be an endless demand for The North Face!

Everywhere you look you see that name brand; down jackets of all all shapes and sizes, fleeces, boots, hats and gloves. Everyone is wearing it, even the homeless guy that's asleep on the park bench.  It seems that The North Face has quietly conquered the urban jungle while selling the brand as the slayer of Everest!

It makes sense, people want to stay warm and dry, but I was completely surprised how The North Face occupies a special place in the hearts of New Yorkers!