Thursday, November 10, 2011

Bagels...

Where to begin?  I have been avoiding food on this blog almost on purpose but I can't wait any longer.  I am going to start with an item that everyone has had but too few have experienced.  Everyone needs to have a true New York bagel.  Please let me be very clear that I am not referring to the NY style bagel place down the street from you that puts eight pounds of cream cheese on a bagel shaped piece of bread and sends you to artery clogging heaven.

I work in an office that "imports" bagels from a place in Brooklyn every couple months that are worth fighting for any day of the week.  They are crisp on the outside and soft and chewy on the inside.  They are good without being toasted or tampered with in any way.  If you choose to add toppings to them you will still know you have a superior carrier.

The bagel shops here almost burned down City Hall when they threatened to change the composition of the water thus altering the NY bagel.  City Hall eventually agreed with the bakers and left well enough alone.

I am not sure how to tell you to find the perfect bagel when in NY other than to say that the sketchier the shop the better the bagels.  Happy Hunting!