Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Central Air...Not exactly...

The vast majority of apartments here have window units for air conditioning. We were so excited when we found out we have central air.  As somebody that did not grow up in a building I take central air to mean that I have total control over the temperature of my apartment.  I have learned over the last couple weeks that this is not true.

The building manager let me know that I am done with air conditioner for the season.  No problem as long as the weather cooperates with his plan.  The weather here has been unseasonable warm lately and the AC was turned off near the start of November.  We have been coming home to a 78 degree apartment thanks to having a large window that gets afternoon sun.  I like to keep the temp at about 73 degrees when it is warm.  Needless to say this has been a bit of a problem.

After learning about how this works I have now started to wonder if a window unit isn't the better option. At least then I can still have AC when I want. Let's hope that mother nature and the building manager are on the same page when Spring comes around.