Saturday, November 19, 2011

Just dropping by...

Just the other day we were watching TV and then BANG a flying rat slammed right into our balcony window.  I am all for visitors but this was not exactly what we were expecting or hoping for!  Thank goodness the pigeon was just stunned and not injured.

There are no shortage of these lovely (disgusting) birds throughout the New York.  Apparently about one million reside in the city and another 465,000 visit from Jersey each day. I guess not even the pigeons want to stay in Jersey. That means on any given day there is one pigeon per five New Yorkers. I guess this visitor was our pigeon that day.

We were sure he would not find any food and be off to another perch soon but that didn't seem to be his goal. He tried a few times to fly away but he wasn't having much luck. Unless we wanted to adopt him as a pet we were going to have to give him a little help. Thankfully he hopped on the broom we extended and flew away.

There are some in the city that look out for these birds and even bring food for them to the parks. They also yell at children for chasing them around. I am sure that they can tell me why pigeons help me out on a daily basis but I am not sure they do more than make a mess!